Sunday, April 4, 2010

A Happy Easter

Last year was my best Easter Sunday to date.  And I'm pretty sure it will stay that way.  On Easter Sunday 2009, I brought my perfectly beautiful 3-day old twin baby girls home from the hospital.  We didn't get dressed up, we didn't go to church, we didn't do any Easter Baskets, we didn't even eat a traditional Easter meal.  But it was still the best Easter with so very much to thank Jesus for.

And on this Easter Sunday I am reflective of all that has happened in 1 year.  This year brought so much change to my family.  So many difficult moments when I wondered how I would carry on.  So many dreaded, painful, tearful goodbyes.  So many nights I laid awake in bed talking to God, begging for answers.  This year challenged my family, my marriage, my friendships, and my inner strength.  But this year on Easter Sunday I am reminded that my life is not defined by the difficulties that I face.  It is not defined by how little sleep I got last night, or how many tantrums my son is thrown today, or how many months my husband was out of work.  My life is defined by the blessings that God has given me, the choices that I have made, and the love that holds my family together.  My husband and I have learned to cling to each other during the difficult moments.  We've learned to forgive each other for being sharp-tounged, short-fused, or just ordinarily miserable company.  We have learned that without each other we have nothing.  We have learned that we are strong enough to get through all of life's bumps.  And most importantly, we have learned to enjoy the small things that make up our life and to not be so fixated on that big things that we don't have answers for.

Why am I choosing Easter to write all of this?  Because there were so many times this year when I wanted to give up.  I wanted to run away from it all.  I wanted to hide my head underneath the covers until it all went away.  But I didn't.  I found the strength and courage to face it.  To take a leap of faith, and work through it.  Last Easter I brought home my 3-day old babies.  This Easter I realize how drastically life can change in 1 year.  My 3-day old babies are almost toddlers already.  In one year I have rejoiced in their smiles, their snuggles, their giggles, even while I faced some of my most difficult personal moments.  I have watched in awe as they grow and change every single day.  And today, on Easter Sunday, I am focused on the fact that the Lord has blessed my husband and I with 3 precious gifts.  Three healthy, beautiful, happy children that are giving me every reason to celebrate this Easter Holiday.



No comments:

Pinterest

Related Posts with Thumbnails