Friday, March 5, 2010

Sleeping in the Pack N Play

I love my blog.  It gives me the opportunity to share the funny (and not so funny) things that my family does.  On some days, my blog feels like my only connection to the outside world.  It's a welcome treat from the world of diapers, sippy cups, nap schedules, and everything else.  I know how pathetic that sounds, but sadly, it's true.  At least once a day my children do something that makes me think to myself, "I've got to put that on the blog."  Well today, it wasn't my child.  Today I feel compelled to share how funny someone else's child can be.

My nephew Jack is a silly, adorable, big, burly 2-year old.  Joey and he are as different as night and day, but they are good buddies nonetheless.  Once a week I babysit Jack so his mommy can get some much-deserved time for herself.  Unlike any of my children, Jack is very flexible when it comes to sleep habits.  He will go down for a nap at any given time, and in any given place.  This makes it super easy to babysit him at naptime like I did today.  It's like a no-fuss guarantee.  I give him a hug and a kiss, hoist him into the Pack N Play, cover him up, and he goes to sleep.  Then I'm off to go through Joey's 18-step process of settling in for a nap.

Shortly after I put Jack in the Pack N Play I hear him calling out for me.  As with any children under my watch, I give him a couple of minutes before going in.  He quieted down and I assumed went to sleep.  My sister (Jack's mother) insisted that I check on him during nap time because he bumped his head this morning.  So, while it's typically against my policy to check on sleeping children (not because I don't care; simply because it usually wakes mine), I quietly opened the door to peek in on my napping guest.  This is what I saw:



At first glance all I saw was the pink sheet with nothing on it.  My heart sank as I officially declared myself "The World's Worst Babysitter," thinking I'd lost one that wasn't even mine.  As I proceeded into the room to begin my search for Jack, I got a closer look:


I was both relieved and astonished to discover that Jack had wedged himself between the fitted sheet and the Pack N Play mattress.  Now, if you've ever met Jack you'd understand what I mean when I say that for him to "wedge" himself anywhere is no small feat.  He is not compact or petite in the least.  But there he was, sound asleep with just his gorgeous red hair and sweet little face exposed.


Intrigued about the antics of yet another red-head in this family?  Head on over to Operation Sippy Cup to read more about what Jack and his big brothers are up to.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

That picture is priceless....I love it and miss all those guys so much.

Pinterest

Related Posts with Thumbnails