Wednesday, July 15, 2009

He Won't Starve

Anyone who has a toddler knows that getting them to eat can easily turn into Mission Impossible. These tiny people often cycle through periods of being quite cooperative in trying new foods, eating well, and being a pleasant meal companion to being the worlds most obnoxious and stubborn food critic. Joey is no exception to the rule.

Last night dinner was not going well. It was mostly our fault, as we missed the golden window of opportunity and sat down for a family meal a good 45 minutes behind schedule. Joey said he wanted noodles so I served him the same pasta dish that I had prepared for Ron and I. He took one bite, and decided that was enough. Ron had fixed him a peanut butter and jelly sandwich earlier in the day which he did not eat, so we tried to give him that instead. Already overtired from a long day of playing outside, a lot of whining, "NO," and covering his mouth ensued at this point. We pushed a bit more, Joey's tantrum got louder, the babies got upset, and no one was enjoying our family dinner. I suggested that Ron take him up for a quick bath and put him to bed and he gave me a look that said, "Off to bed with no dinner? Not on my watch." I just raised my eyebrows, shrugged my shoulders and said, "I'm pretty sure he won't starve before morning." He reluctantly removed the high chair tray, picked up the now hysterical child, and left while I turned back to my food and my babies trying to remain calm.

Once upstairs, Joey settled down and I listened to him enjoying his bath, reading, and night time songs with Daddy. I heard Ron say goodnight to Joey, and he came downstairs looking considerably more relaxed than he did when he left. He placed the plate that previously held the PB&J in front of me and stated that he ate every last bite. In the tub. Then he walked out of the room looking oh so pleased to have won the daily food battle.

1 comment:

Pinterest

Related Posts with Thumbnails