Thursday, February 4, 2010

Making Cookies

A couple of nights ago after dinner Joey announced that he needed a cookie.  I answered him with a simple, "we don't have any cookies, honey," and left it at that.  During the conversation I probably said something along the lines of, "Mommy will make some cookies soon."  That was my first mistake.  Joey's memory is like an elephant when it works to his benefit.  He has been asking me to make cookies ever since that night at the dinner table, and I told him over and over again that we would do that after his nap today.

I had every intention to make his wish come true while he was sleeping.  We all know that a two year old doesn't have the patience to wait for the dough to be made, formed into balls, baked and cooled all before you can take a bite.  So my plan was to prepare the dough, have the cookie sheets ready to pop into the oven as I walked down the hall to get him from his nap.  By the time we finished the waking up-potty-hand washing routine, the cookies would be just about done and Joey would only have to wait a few minutes for them to cool.

Well, Olivia and Katelyn failed to cooperate with THE PLAN.  They did not go down for their afternoon nap on time, leaving me absolutely zero minutes to prepare anything for my cookie-craving child.  When Joey woke up (moments after I put the babies down) and saw that there were no cookies he was devastated.  He sobbed like a baby.  I mean SOBBED.  He pulled out all the stops.  Real tears, snotty nose, loud hiccupping type cries.  Out of absolute desperation and guilt, and knowing that I had no other way to cheer this kid up, I frantically pulled out the flour, sugar, peanut butter, and other ingredients and made the fastest cookie dough known to mankind.  Rachael Ray can make an entire meal in 30 minutes?  Well, I can make cookie dough from scratch with a crying 2 year old in 12.  Pretty impressive, I know.  The only thing that stopped him from crying was getting to lick the beaters:


I put the cookies in the oven, set the timer, and diverted Joey's attention to Diego On Demand.  Joey was peacefully watching TV while I grabbed the cookies from the oven and transferred them to a cooling rack.  A few minutes later I brought one out to him, then I quickly hurried back to the kitchen to start dinner.  While I'm buttering the bread for grilled cheese sandwiches (real creative, I know...) Joey walks in the kitchen and here is a recap of our conversation:

Me: How is your cookie Joey?
Joey: My no like this.
Me: You don't like it???
Joey: No.  No like.
Me: Joey, Mommy made you those cookies because you were such a pain in the ass so sad about it.
Joey: No thank you Mom.  Here ya go Mom. (handing cookie back to me.)

Feeling totally defeated and manipulated, I accepted the cookie and gobbled it up.  And being the emotional eater that I am, followed by about 10 more.

By the way, don't trust the judgment of a 2 year old.  He has no idea what he's talking about.  These cookies are nothing short of amazing...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom you get A for effort. Joey is like Nana, the dough is the best part!!

Kathryn said...

You're right they were amazing!!!

Pinterest

Related Posts with Thumbnails