Sunday, December 13, 2009

Move Over Gerber, a New Biter Biscuit is in Town!



I've always enjoyed making my own baby food.  I don't always do it, but when I do I feel so good about myself as a mommy.  There's just something about making something for my little ones from scratch, not from a jar, bottle, can, or box.  So I've always been experimenting with different recipes, tastes, and textures for my babies.

8 months old is a great age.  The babies can now sit up in their high chairs and eat things like puffs, biter biscuits, toasts, and other exciting finger foods.  Why do I think this is so great?  Because it gives me a few minutes to get things done.  Like eat dinner.  And we all know how much I love anything that gives me an extra minute or two.

Katelyn is addicted to puffs.  Seriously.  I'm pretty sure that the child would sit in her high chair for hours on end as long as the tray continued to be replenished with a endless supply of puffs.  In fact sometimes I catch her almost doozing off before I shake a few more puffs onto her tray. 

Olivia likes puffs too, but has a harder time manipulating the tray-to-hand-to-mouth sequence.  Most of the time she just ends up with two fistfulls of puffs and she doesn't know what to do next.  She prefers to be fed the puffs.  How helpful is that?  I have to feed my child her "finger foods."  Hmmm... not really sure that's the arrangement I was going for, but whatever.

Olivia really loves the biter biscuits though.  She catches a glimpse of one of those and her little feet start kicking away in excitement.  And she knows just what to do.  Hold in hand, insert in mouth, and suck, suck, suck.  Did that sound dirty to you?  Get your mind out of the gutter.  We're talking about my baby here people... geesh.

Anyway, we are going through a ridiculous amount of puffs and biter biscuits these days.  (Partially due to the fact that Joey insists on having puffs and "baby cookies" as well.)  In an effort to save a little money, make less frequent trips to the baby snack-food aisle, and give my babies something that is natural and delicious I decided to try to make my own biter biscuits yesterday.  I tried this once when Joey was a baby and ended up with a chewy, bendable, flavorless, rubbery version of the beloved Gerber Biter Biscuits.  Nevertheless, I did a little internet searching and found something that sounded yummy for my kiddos.




It took me all of 15 minutes to whip up a batch of these bad boys, another 25 minutes in the oven, 10 minutes to cool, and voila!  I had myself 13 brand-spanking new biter biscuits that had a yummy flavor, perfect texture, and wholesome ingredients.  And all three of my kids thought they were fantastic.

By the way, I'm happy to share the recipe with anyone who wants it, just contact me and let me know you'd like it!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

So where in your day do you get the extra time to bake these bad boys??? Move over Betty Crocker, there's a new girl in town!!

Pinterest

Related Posts with Thumbnails