Saturday, January 30, 2010

Through The Eyes of Children

So often you hear people complaining about the snow. How they get stuck in the house for hours on end, or can't get to work, or hate shoveling/plowing/moving the snow. Snowstorms lead to traffic problems, high heating bills, and unnecessary delays in most people's busy schedules. I've never disliked snow. I actually enjoy the serene feeling that comes from being in a warm house listening to the sound of tiny snowflakes blow onto my window. I love watching my husband bundle up Joey to go "play" in the snow. I look forward to the days when we can use the snow as a family bonding experience sledding, building snow forts, and snowmen together. In my opinion, God intended for snow to slow us down, take a time out, and enjoy each other. But it can't be enjoyed for long. Roads have to be plowed, cars have to get dusted off, and sidewalks have to be sanded and salted. The world rarely slows down for snow, and it is so often viewed as a big white inconvenience.

I feel that I'm one of the lucky ones who is really unaffected by an impending snowstorm. I don't have a full-time job that expects me to arrive come rain, snow, or hurricanes. I don't have children in school that I have to bring in late, pick up early, or keep home altogether. And at this point in my life, I don't even have a driveway or sidewalk that I'm responsible for shoveling or clearing off.

So this morning I was free to see the snow through the eyes of my children. Joey raced to the window to see the "tow-man" outside, then called to Katelyn by saying, "come see, Katelyn, come see ow-side." And for a good 5 minutes the two of them stood at the window in awe of the falling snow.

2 comments:

Sassy Salsa girl said...

I LOVE this post. You've put into words my feelings exactly :D Though sometimes I do find the snow to be an inconvinience, its rare (that I feel this way) and usually not until the end of April when its supposed to be warming up. Thats when I get frustrated. I just want to go outside and garden, but I can't because it snowed (thats what happened last year anyway). So thank you for pointing out the positives :D

alyssa said...

That is such a sweet picture.

Pinterest

Related Posts with Thumbnails